Pet owners

Here are some simple steps that you can take to reduce the risk of electrical fires in your home.

  • Don’t leave cables trailing – as well as being a trip hazard, they might be too good to resist for a pet looking for something to chew on.
  • Don’t leave a portable heater unattended when excitable pets are running around the house!
  • As cute as it seems, make sure your pets don't curl up on any warm electrical appliances like computers or laptops. You could end up blocking vital air vents and the appliance may overheat!
  • Make sure that plug sockets are not overloaded – if too many appliances draw power from one socket, it can overheat and catch fire.
  • If you have an aquarium in your home, be extra vigilant over where you leave your electrical devices and trailing cables as water and electricity is not a match made in heaven! 
  • Never leave washing machines or dishwashers running when you are out of the house or asleep.
  • Don’t plug a mobile phone in to charge and then forget about it.
  • Check that plugs, sockets, lights and cables are not damaged or displaying burn marks.
  • Don’t store anything that could easily catch fire on top of the microwave or near your fusebox or electricity meter.
  • Use our online product checker to make sure that none of the electrical appliances in your home have been recalled. Visit

To carry out a simple check on the electrics in your home:

Pets Home Alone

Look what happened when this cat and dog were left home alone.